WELCOME TO LISSO:
The University of Iowa Student Chapter
of the American Library Association
You are a LISSO member, dues free, as an accepted student of the School of Library and Information Science, and are invited to attend any meetings and associated functions.
LISSO's Purpose (from Article 1 of the Constitution):
1. Facilitate and encourage participation in the American Library Association (ALA) and the Iowa Library Association (ILA), work to promote scholarly achievement and professional awareness among its members, and promote active, imaginative research in the field of Library and Information Science.
2. Increase awareness and use of the resources provided by the ALA to its members, as well as those provided by the University of Iowa and the School of Library and Information Science.
3. Provide a local forum for the exchange of ideas and information about trends, issues, and opportunities in the profession.
4. Promote involvement in professional activities beyond the classroom.
5. Develop skills and relationships that will enable students to have a creative impact within the profession.
6. Promote fellowship between SLIS students through social activities and events.
About Your Officers
President: Carlisle Isley (She/Her) is the LISSO President. She works at the Boyd Law Library in Technical Services and in Special Collections in processing. She can be found in the papermaking studio making miniature sheets of paper.
Secretary: Alli Slowiak (she/her) is a second year SLIS student with an interest in Special Collections Librarianship. When not in a library she can be found researching medieval history, hiking a trail, or crocheting.
Treasurer: Caitlin Matheis (she/her) is the LISSO Treasurer. She is a second year student in SLIS focusing on archives, digital humanities, and academic librarianship and works with the humanities and social sciences librarians in the Main Library.
Social Chair: M Clark (they/them/ia) is the LISSO social chair. They are a second-year MLIS student preparing for a career in Pacific Islands librarianship. When not on the 3rd floor, they enjoy writing poetry and having one-sided conversations with their dog.
Distance Learning Representative: Lexi Brennan (she/her) is the Distance Learning Representative for LISSO. She works at the Drake University Law Library as a Reference and Instruction Librarian in Des Moines.
LISSO is accessible on several online platforms:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SLIS.LISSO
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/LissoUi
- Engage: https://uiowa.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/lisso