Applications for Fall 2023 are closed. Applications for Fall 2024 will open in October 2023.
The graduate application process has two steps:
- Submit an online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Upload required supplemental documents through the secure MyUI (Iowa Student Information Service) portal.
After you submit your application, you will receive email instructions on how to establish your HawkID and password in order to access your Admissions Profile on MyUI. Supporting documents must be uploaded directly through your MyUI Admissions Profile. For your three letters of recommendation, you will be asked to provide the contact information of your recommenders on the Profile page. The recommender will then receive an email from the Office of Admissions instructing them on how to upload a recommendation letter and recommendation form.
Unofficial transcripts showing your baccalaureate (or higher) degree(s) are part of the Graduate Application requirement and need to be submitted at the time of your Graduate College application. These documents will be available to the SLIS program for review. Official transcripts are required upon admission to the program.
Statement of Purpose
Please submit a 500-750 word statement of purpose essay addressing the following:
- What motivates you to pursue education and a career in library and information science?
- Explain how your interest in the field reflects and responds to the current practice of information work, including continuing professional education, leadership, technology, and collaboration.
- Discuss your interest in SLIS at the University of Iowa, articulating how you believe our program can help you achieve your educational and professional goals.
- Briefly describe any aspects of your personal journey or professional experience that inform your interest in library and information science.
Resume or CV
As part of the Resume/CV, applicants are encouraged to reflect on any relevant employment and how it contributes to their educational and professional goals as identified in their Statement of Purpose, as well as their overall interest in SLIS at The University of Iowa.
Letters of Recommendation
You will indicate the contact information for your three letter writers in your Profile. The contact email for the writer must be an academic or business email address. Your three letters of recommendation should come from people who can assess the scope and quality of your past academic or professional work. At least one should be an academic reference. There are no special forms for these letters, however, they are to be written on the recommender's letterhead and indicate the writer's name and his or her association with you (e.g. instructor, employer, supervisor). All letters must be dated and signed.
Teaching Certificate (Teacher Librarian applicants only)
If you are applying to the Teacher Librarian program include a copy of your current Teaching Certificate with your application. This document should be uploaded by the applicant under the "Certificate" option on our online admissions system.
Please direct admissions questions to Katie McCullough at: email@example.com
The University of Iowa does not discriminate in its educational programs and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, religion, sex, age, disability or veteran status. The university also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to university facilities without reference to affectional or associational preference.
For additional information on nondiscrimination policies, contact the Coordinator of Title IX and Section 504 in the Office of Affirmative Action, The University of Iowa, 202 Jessup Hall, Iowa City, Iowa 52241-1316; telephone 319-335-0705.