Yes, you can, but you are limited to one in-person course each semester. Thesis hours are not currently an enrollment option for online students.

Yes, you certainly can. To take an online course, you register for the online section (often designated as an EXE section) of the course you want. Most SLIS courses are available to both in-person and online students.

If you are joining us at the University of Iowa from out of state, you will need to obtain information about your residency status from the UI Registrar.  Graduate assistants, whether through SLIS or another UI department, are awarded in-state tuition rates as part of their contracts.  Because obtaining Iowa residency for tuition purposes is complex,  you will need to consult the Registrar's page on residency for rules on this process.


If you are not a SLIS student, but you are a UI student, email Katie McCullough and she will assist you in enrolling in SLIS courses as a non-major.

If you are interested in taking SLIS courses and you are not enrolled as a UI student, we can help! If you have a bachelor's degree, you can apply to take SLIS courses as a non-degree seeking student.

Please note that there are limits on how many courses you can take as a non-degree student and, should you decide to join our program, there are limits on the number of credits earned before admission that you may apply to the degree.

Instead of internships, SLIS offers a practicum course that provides hands-on, in-library experience. Assisted by our practicum coordinator, students have worked in public, academic, and special libraries, as well as archives.  For information on the practicum, including how you arrange placement at a library, please email Kara Logsden.

SLIS does not offer internships for credit. If you are interested in an internship, speak with your SLIS advisor about whether an internship or our practicum class best suits your career development.